Are you seeking alternatives to Magento? Did you read my Magento review and decide it isn’t the ecommerce platform for you? Magento stormed onto the scene several years ago as a new open source shopping cart. It was highly configurable and full featured and the developer community jumped on board with great enthusiasm. Then normal people tried to use it and the wheels fell off. It was difficult to use, very slow and unresponsive and for free software small businesses seemed to have to spend an awful lot of money keeping there stores maintained properly. The final nail in the coffin was when Paypal/eBay bought it and tried to make money form Instant Profits with Instagram it at te expense of all the small businesses that had supported it in the early years.
Why would I want alternatives to Magento?
Magento is Dead. There is no future on th platform. Magento-Go has been discontinued and plans to update Magento proper have stalled. Don’t expect Magento 2, it’s been coming for years and with all the lay-offs at Magento lately there is less chance than ever that it will eventuate.
Security. It has been found seriously lacking lately. See my Switching Carts posts for more.
Cost. Since Magento was corporatised and commercialised the low cost open source development community has done the same. Expect to pay at least 75% more for magenta development than CS-Cart or OpenCart development
Support – There isn’t any. In fact you are not even allowed to call them for help unless you are on the most expensive plan. Forget Facebook they haven’t updated that in about 8 months, and the blog for news and updates? Nope. Hasn’t been touched since July 2013. Twitter? Ha! Don’t even bother. So how do you get help when your online business is in trouble. Upgrade your plan and pay them much more money than you need and hope when you call they answer.
Overly Complicated Store and design Management
You need more features
You tell me, chances are you came here looking for a Magento Alternative – I would love to here your comments on why you are moving away form it.
Alternatives to Magento
- Prestashop. Your best choice. Extensible, open source and has more modules than you can poke a stick at.
- LemonStand – super flexible, very nicely coded. Similarly resource intensive (requires about 50% less than Magento to run) though but if you have Magento sized hosting you are well placed to run LemonStand – Need more read this LemonStand Review
- CS-Cart – A great installed shopping cart. Runs well, full featured,easily extended, templates pack owed and there is a n active community to supplement reliable support – Need more read this CS-Cart Review
- OpenCart or Tomato Cart – both open source as is the Magento Community Edition. Both are relatively new and still under development and both have active development communities and average development charges are lower than Magento.
Alternatives to Magento Go
- Bigcommerce – think of it as Magento Go for half the running cost, twice the support, and about 20 times easier to build, run and maintain- Need more read this Bigcommerce Review
- Americommerce – not quite as wonderful as Bigcommerce but has support for multiple languages and multiple stores from one backend. Supports all the features of Magento Go and is much cheaper. Americommerce support is some of the best in the ecommerce platform ecosystem- Need more read this Americommerce Review
- Volusion is looking viable lately. Lots of improvements to simplify the user experience.
- 3dCart – needs more attention a great cart that has slipped under the radar for no good reason
- Pinnacle Cart – a solid performer with a huge featureset. Hosted and cloud versions to cater to all store configurations.
What carts would not be suitable alternatives to Magento or Magento GO
Shopify – just doesn’t have the features that you need – although if you found Magento completely overwhelming it may be a refreshing change to move to a simple shopping cart like Shopify. If you are still interested I have written a Shopify Review
Need more options? Have a look at my 6 second shopping cart reviews